Healthy Pug

Keeping Your Pug Safe From Holiday Hazards and Treats

FDA Warning for pugs
FDA Warning for Pugs Owners

It’s this time of the year when we are conscious of over indulging … but what about your pets. It’s easy to get carried away and give them too many treats because we may be spending more free time with them during the holiday period.

If your dog received a stocking full of pet treats, make sure he doesn’t gobble them all up at once. According to Stamper, if he eats the treats whole, or eats too many at once, he may not be able to digest them. Unchewed pet treats can get stuck in the trachea (windpipe) or gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, and intestines), particularly in small dogs.

If your dog is in obvious distress from eating too much too fast, says Stamper, contact your vet immediately. Some telltale signs are drooling, choking, or vomiting.

read more at fda.gov …

Why You Should Take Care …

During the holiday season we all love to give our dogs toys they can play with or chew, and of course those lovely treats (low calorie of course!).

Each year FDA receives a small number of reports of adverse events associated with pet treats. Pug owners should be aware that occasionally, the dog treats or toys you or others buy for your dog may have the potential to cause choking or blockage problems for your pug.

 

 

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top