Lifestyle

Christmas Dangers for Pugs

Thanksgiving has passed and now it is well and truly looking like Christmas everywhere you go. Most people are entering in to the holiday spirit and buying decorations and a wonderful Christmas tree to put them on.

Mops erhält Weihnachtsgeschenke

We are all in a festive mood here at the Pugington Post and can’t wait to bake some holiday treats, wrap a few gifts, attend Christmas parties and spend a lot of quality time with family and friends. That’s what Christmas is all about.

As you are getting in to the routine of Christmas, take a moment to think about how your preparations and festivities will affect your little puggy friend. We have previously written a post about the dangers of particular festive foods, but what about everything else that comes with the holiday season?

 

Visitors. We all know that Christmas is a time to spend with and abundance of family and friends, so most people are likely to get a lot of footfall through their doors this time of year. With all that traffic you should make sure to tell your guests beforehand to ensure they shut all doors behind them to prevent any pug related great escapes if they become a little agitated and bolt away. It is a good idea to have a room that is a no-go for guests, where puggy can go and relax if they are not comfortable around a lot of people.

Lights. It is common for pugs, and any dogs, especially puppies, to want to chew on anything they can their mouth on, however this can be especially dangerous during the festive season. Part of putting up beautiful decorations usually involves lights, which can be very harmful, even lethal , to pugs if they chew through a live cable. If you have a few cables trailing one the floor, think about using a cable tidy and try to use a grounded extension cable.

christmas 2

Festive Flora. The popular red Christmas plant, the Poinsettia, is mildly toxic to dogs and should be displayed well out of reach. However, other Christmassy plants like holly and mistletoe are even more toxic and cause a severe stomach upset.

Tinsel and ribbons. We love these to add a little sparkle to our decorations or present wrapping, and they will look just as appealing to your pug pal too. However, if ingested, they could cause a serious blockage in the digestive system, leaving your dog in pain, as well as possibly causing diarrhea and vomiting.

Christmas Tree. Whether it is real or artificial, the tree is usually the star of the Christmas decorations and lights up the room, however, trees can cause some troubles for inquisitive pugs. A lot of artificial trees are made in different countries and can lead or other dangerous materials that will cause illness for dogs that like to nibble on the tree. Even real trees can pose a threat, as some farms spray their trees in harmful chemicals and pesticides and  the stagnant water in the tree stand is the perfect breeding ground for nasty bacteria. You should also be sure to secure your tree correctly so it doesn’t come crashing down on any curious  little pugs that give it a tug!

 

We hope you and your pug have a safe and merry Christmas!

 

As always, we must stress that we are not pet care professionals and advise you to take your pet to your veterinarian immediately if you suspect they may be ll or ingested something hazardous.

To Top